Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /var/www/wp-content/themes/Divi/functions.php on line 5763

Call Friends of Fathers Today for a Free Consultation.

(313) 983-0044

Child Support Questions / FAQs

Listed below are many of the frequently asked questions we hear from fathers when they are navigating through the child support system. Browse through our list of questions below for answers by clicking on the question:

Child Support Payments:

Penalties for Failure to Pay Child Support:

Arrears and Back Child Support:

Friends of Fathers provides coaching and educational services to support fathers by helping them resolve family and life issues. We are dedicated to empowering fathers and helping them reach their full potential by becoming more knowledgeable and self-sufficient.

We support fathers by:

  • Helping fathers navigate through the Friend of the Court processes
  • Educating fathers through seminars, workshops, and forums
  • Providing employability skills training



Conference Call by Completing
the Information Below

We are ready to answer your call and give you the help and support you need!

Questions / FAQs

Questions About Child Support?
We Can Help!


Services / Solutions

Friends of Fathers Can Help You and Your Family with Child Support Issues.



See How We Helped These Fathers Fix Their Child Support Problems



Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get my child support payments lowered?
Many parents find themselves in a situation where they are unable to make their child support payments. If you’ve been wondering, “How can I get my child support payments lowered,” it’s time to find some answers. Sometimes, the child support amount that was initially agreed upon is proven impossible. Significant life events can sometimes qualify you for a change in your child support arrangement. These life changes may include losing your job, a serious injury or disability, a change in marital status, or a change in household income. To lower child support payments you and the custodial parent must agree to the change or have a judge order the change.
Can arrears be forgiven for child support?
You have several options to consider if you have arrears. There is a possibility you can waive interest, correct errors in past child support calculations, or modify future payments. To waive interest, you will have to petition to waive the interest on your back child support. You may need to provide proof of incorrect child support amounts by securing proper documents. If you’re looking for the answer to a question like “Can arrears be forgiven for child support?” it’s time to reach out for help.
Is it a felony to not pay child support?
According to Michigan’s statutes, a parent may be charged with a felony for nonpayment of child support if the parent is willfully withholding support payments. Generally, nonpayment of child support may result in a felony conviction only if the parent repeatedly fails to make child support payments and willfully withholds those payments. If convicted of felony nonpayment, Michigan’s sentencing guidelines allow a court to order the non-paying parent to spend up to four years in prison and/or to pay fines of up to $2,000. If you’re looking for the answer to “Is it a felony to not pay child support?” it’s time to get some help.
Can child support affect your credit score?
Yes, failure to pay your child support affects your credit score. The only way to improve your credit is to pay overdue child support. Being current on your child support payments is the only way to avoid negative impacts on your credit score. Although it will stay on your credit report once it is reported to the credit bureaus, making payments will still significantly increase your credit rating. Looking for the answer to the question “Can child support affect your credit score?” call for help today.
Is the high wage garnishment causing you and your new family a financial hardship?
If your wage garnishment is causing you and your family financial hardship, there is a chance you can reduce your child support payments. You need to obtain the documents you need to prove that your child support payments are too high for your new household. Remember, never stop making payments, as this will only lead to further issues down the road. It’s important to act fast and secure the proof you will need in court in order to reduce your child support payments. Call us today for a free consultation, and we will do everything we can to get you on the road to more reasonable payments in the future. Is the high wage garnishment causing you and your new family a financial hardship? It’s time to get some help.
Do believe the child support arrears balance is incorrect?
Child support arrears are the past due child support payments that the noncustodial parent (or the parent without primary custody of the child) owes to the custodial parent. If you owe arrears you’ll need to understand how the process works before you can resolve the issue. Do you believe the child support arrears balance is incorrect? Read more to discover your options.

Contact Friends of Fathers Today!


Friends of Fathers
19120 Grand River
Detroit, MI 48223


(313) 983-0044